I Governmental level:
Bilateral relations between Poland and Egypt reach first quarter of last century. Shortly after gaining independence of Poland (1918) relations with Egypt (1927),and also Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia were established. Poland was supporting independence of all Arab countries emerging in North Africa in fifties after falling of colonial system.
In 1942, during 2nd World War, 120 thousand of Polish refugees from Union of Soviet Socialist Republics arrived to Iran to form there (and also later in Iraq) squads of 2nd Polish Corps. Their way to war front in Italy took through Palestine, Egypt and Libya.
Later Polish soldiers’ presence was continued along with peace and stabilizing missions run by United Nations (presence in Egypt, Golan Heights, and in Lebanon).
In 1995 Poland was included on the observer status in Barcelona Process that led to creating Union for Mediterranean in which now Egypt is associated and takes active part.
In economy matters Egypt as a part of MENA region is important not only due to its’ hydrocarbon resources, but also as a market for export & import goods and services. In Egypt in 2011 number of Polish tourists reached 500 thousand and they ranked 5th place after Russians and Germans.
As for cultural and science cooperation the most known is cooperation in archeology which continues since 1937 by Center for Mediterranean Archeology of Warsaw University in Cairo. There are also cooperation agreements sigh between universities (6th October University in Cairo and Andrzej Frycz Modrzewski Krakow University).
1. Bilateral agreements
Egypt and Poland have sign bilateral agreements for cooperation in many fields like tourism, finance, investments, transportation, science & technology.
- Agreement between the Republic of Poland and the Arab Republic of Egypt on the reciprocal promotion and protection of investments (1998). ar.pdf - en.pdf - pl.pdf
- Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Poland and the Government of the Arab Republic of Egypt for the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income and on capital (2002). pl_en.pdf
- Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Poland and the Government of the Arab Republic of Egypt on cooperation in science and technology (2002). ar.pdf - pl.pdf
- Agreement between the Government of the Polish People's Republic and the Government of the Republic of Egypt for the Establishment and Regulation of Scheduled Air services between and beyond their respective territories (1956)
- Agreement between the Government of the Polish People's Republic and the Government of the Arab Republic of Egypt on Maritime Transport (1977)
- Agreement between Republic of Poland and Arab Republic of Egypt on the mutual legal assistance in civil and trade affairs (1992). ar.pdf - fr.pdf - pol.pdf
- Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Poland and the Government of the Arab Republic of Egypt on cooperation in the field of tourism (2011). pol_ar_En.pdf
- Agreement between Government of the Republic of Poland and Government of the Arab Republic of Egypt on security matters (1996). ar.pdf - en.pdf - pl.pdf